SA Super League 2020 draft
The SA SUPER LEAGUE is coming back in October 2020, thanks to the continued support from City of Salisbury, West End and SportsCentre. This is your opportunity to play with and against the best players in the state regularly, in the most incentivised team competition in the state. Below is your chance to register for the draft as a player, a volunteer to help run the league or simply obtain more information so you can be an avid and passionate supporter of your Super League team.
It doesn’t matter what your age, ability or club – EVERYONE has the opportunity to be involved in the SA Super League. Nominating for the draft is completely free so what have you got to lose!
The league has raised the profile of bowls in SA, creating a fast paced, short seasoned format with initiatives such as super ends, different disciplines, weekly live streaming of matches, a weekly bowls show consisting of results, selections & match previews, a live player draft, statistics and a league best and fairest award! All the things we love about sport as well as the ever constant mateship and comradery that traditional forms of the game bring.
This year we have made some additional changes to make the league bigger and better than the first two seasons for players and spectators alike. These include:
- The season is shifting to the warmer months with the league being staged from October 16 and concluding on December 18
- Franchises will have ‘home clubs’ with each franchise having a steering committee responsible for the appointment of coaches and compliance with league rules and regulations.
- For the first time some league matches will also be played at varying venues with an opportunity to bring the league to different bowling clubs
- Squads will be raised to 15 players per squad with the league now consisting of an SA Super League and SA Super League reserves competition meaning 12 of the 15 players will be selected to play each week.
- There will also continue to be a separate SA Super League Under 21 league consisting of up to 5 squad members with 2 players playing each week
- Squad selection requirements will be reduced to 4 local players from each franchises local zone (must be 2 country / 2 metro) and 3 players of each gender
- Squads will have the ability to pick their best available team each week
Each team has been asked to retain six players who played for their squad in the previous season with these players being announced prior to the draft in Early August.
The 2020 playing dates and times are provided below:
|Friday 16 October||Round 1|
|Sunday 25 October||Round 2|
|Sunday 1 November||Round 3|
|Friday 6 November||Round 4|
|Friday 13 November||Round 5|
|Friday 20 November||Round 6|
|Friday 29 November||Round 7|
|Friday 4 December||Semi Final & Elimination Final|
|Friday 11 December||Preliminary Final|
|Friday 18 December||Grand Final|
Friday Night game days would see:
6pm – SA Super League Reserves & Under 21 competition
8pm – SA Super League*
*Each week one main competition game will be the ‘match of the round’ for live stream, with this game being played with disciplines being played in a staggered start so that the entire game is shown on the stream. Start times would be 530pm, 7pm & 830pm for the different disciplines.
Sunday game days would see:
12pm – SA Super League Reserves & Under 21 competition
2pm – SA Super League*
*Each week one main competition game will be the ‘match of the round’ for live stream, with this game being played with disciplines being played in a staggered start so that the entire game is shown on the stream. Start times would be 1130am, 1pm & 230pm for the different disciplines.
To nominate for the draft, please follow the prompts and fill in your details. The nomination process will close 5pm Friday 31 July 2020. Your nomination will then be compiled ready for consideration by the SA Super League team coaches on our official SA Super League draft date of Wednesday, August 12th, 2020.
*Please note players cannot withdraw their availability from the league if not selected by their desired franchise, doing so will attract a penalty from Bowls SA. Players can withdraw from the draft prior to it occurring by advising Bowls SA.
Players may have a non compulsory opportunity to trial in front of Super League coaches and selectors prior to the draft on Saturday or Sunday August 8 & 9 to showcase their skills and press their claim to be drafted. Bowls SA will provide more details on this in the lead up to the event.
The Super League coaches will be making their squad selections which will be recorded in a live video on the Bowls SA Facebook page on Wednesday, August 12th, 2020. Bowls SA will provide you with more information on how you can tune in to view whether you have been drafted or not in the lead up to the night.
If you require any further information prior to nominating for the draft, please contact our friendly sraff on 8234 7544 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good luck to all nominees.