Fast Paced. Action Packed. The Best Playing the Best.
The SA Super League will be back to heat up the South Australia bowls scene with the competition set to launch again in October 2020.
The successful 2019 hosting saw the Central Chargers take out inaugural champions Heysen Comets in the grand final as well as the Southern Blazers defeating the Eastern Raiders in the newly formed Under 21 competition.
The eight franchise teams will again return with some new players, new rules and a bigger and better atmosphere ready to excite the crowds.
This year we have made some additional changes to make the league bigger and better than the first two seasons for players and spectators alike. These include:
- The season is shifting to the warmer months with the league being staged from October 25 and concluding on December 18
- Franchises will have ‘home clubs’ with each franchise having a steering committee responsible for the appointment of coaches and compliance with league rules and regulations.
- For the first time some league matches will also be played at varying venues with an opportunity to bring the league to different bowling clubs
- Squads will be raised to 15 players per squad with the league now consisting of an SA Super League and SA Super League reserves competition meaning 12 of the 15 players will be selected to play each week.
- There will also continue to be a separate SA Super League Under 21 league consisting of up to 5 squad members with 2 players playing each week
- Squad selection requirements will be reduced to 4 local players from each franchises local zone (must be 2 country / 2 metro) and 3 players of each gender
- Squads will have the ability to pick their best available team each week
Each team has been asked to retain six players who played for their squad in the previous season with these players being announced prior to the draft in Early August.
We are again pleased to have support from Lion Nathan, SportsCentre, The Advertiser and the City of Salisbury in the running of this competition
Keep your eyes on the SA Super League tabs for all of the latest news including coach announcements, player retainment’s, conditions of play updates and your opportunity to catch all the action. It promises to be an exciting SA Super League season.
The competition is unlike any other event on the Bowls SA calendar, with 8 established state wide franchise teams formed, and each affiliated bowling club in South Australia being aligned with one of these teams to act as feeder clubs. This serves the purpose of assisting country clubs or metropolitan clubs without a high grade pennant side, to retain their best available talent as the individual players can play in the best competition in the state, whilst being based out of their home club. To see a breakdown of which team each affiliated club is aligned to, please click here.
The competition is not only for the players but the spectator experience for anyone who loves the sport will be truly sensational. The game day experience will aim to replicate your other favourite sports providing a great atmosphere, food, beverages and opportunity get up close to the action to follow your local team!
In the interest of creating an even competition, there is also be a live player draft. This creates the opportunity for any registered member within South Australia who has aspirations of playing high level bowls to submit an application for the player draft where they will be considered for selection by any of the 8 teams.
Exciting SA Super League Concepts
– Player draft recorded directly to our Facebook page
– Live streaming of games each week directly to our Facebook page
– A Weekly SA Super League show broadcast directly to our Facebook page to cover results/ match preview & selections for the upcoming week
– Write ups and advertising covered on all of our website, Facebook & weekly e-newsletter.
-Andrew Smith medal for League best & fairest winner across all minor round games
-Grand final best on green medal for best performed player in the Grand Final
– A higher integration of stats
– A tipping competition